Thesis: the death of ancient culture inevitable. Greek culture must be
distinguished as the archetype; and it must be shown how all culture
rests upon shaky conceptions.
The dangerous meaning of art: as the protectress and galvanisation of
dead and dying conceptions; history, in so far as it wishes to restore
to us feelings which we have overcome. To feel "historically" or "just"
towards what is already past, is only possible when we have risen above
it. But the danger in the adoption of the feelings necessary for this is
very great . let the dead bury their dead, so that we ourselves may not
come under the influence of the smell of the corpses.
THE DEATH OF THE OLD CULTURE.
1. The signification of the studies of antiquity hitherto pursued:
2. As soon as they recognise the goal they condemn themselves to death .
for their goal is to describe ancient culture itself as one to be
3. The collection of all the conceptions out of which Hellenic culture
has grown up. Criticism of religion, art, society, state, morals.
4. Christianity is likewise denied.
5. Art and history--dangerous.
6. The replacing of the study of antiquity which has become superfluous
for the training of our youth.
Thus the task of the science of history is completed and it itself has
become superfluous, if the entire inward continuous circle of past
efforts has been condemned. Its place must be taken by the science of
- -- Friedrich Nietzsche