"ATHEIST HALL CONVERTED
Berlin Churches Establish Bureau to Win Back Worshippers
Wireless to the New York Times.
BERLIN, May 13. - In Freethinkers Hall, which before the Nazi
resurgence was the national headquarters of the German Freethinkers
League, the Berlin Protestant church authorities have opened a bureau
for advice to the public in church matters. Its chief object is to win
back former churchgoers and assist those who have not previously
belonged to any religious congregation in obtaining church membership.
The German Freethinkers League, which was swept away by the national
revolution, was the largest of such organizations in Germany. It had
about 500,000 members ..."
[New York Times, May 14, 1993, page 2, on Hitler's outlawing of
atheistic and freethinking groups in Germany in the Spring of
1933, after the Enabling Act authorizing Hitler to rule by decree]